VEGAN CASHEW-BASIL ZUCCHINI LASAGNA | Camilla Akerberg
If you are ready to spend a bit of time in the kitchen, this vegan lasagna recipe is a perfect meal-prep recipe for lunches ready for the days ahead. Low carb, vegan, paleo, gluten free, dairy free- need I say anything more?! This nutrition packed, delicious recipe is ease to follow and a winner for the whole family! I hope you enjoy it!
- 2 cups unsalted cashews
- 1½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, diced finely
- 1 L diced tomatoes (no added salt)
- 250 ml crushed tomatoes (no added salt)
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- Chilli to season
- Rosemary, to season
- Sea salt to season
- Black pepper, freshly ground to taste
- 4 large zucchinis
- Sea salt, for draining water
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Soak the cashews in a bowl of water for 45 minutes. Drain and rinse. Add all the ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add diced onions and cook until onions are softened. Add garlic and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and basil leaves. Season with chilli flakes, sea salt, rosemary and pepper. Bring the sauce to a boil and then simmer on medium low for 20 minutes.
Zucchini Lasagna Slices
- Preheat oven to 200 Celcius degrees
- Slice each zucchini into thin slices. Salt the zucchini slices heavily, layer with paper towels set aside for 30 minutes to drain the water out. Get as much water out as possible.
Putting it together
- Spread a layer of sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish. Lay zucchini slices side-by-side on the bottom of the dish. Try to cover the whole dish.
- Top the slices with a layer of cashew cheese, followed by more tomato sauce. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, ending with a final layer of sauce and cheese. Garnish with more fresh basil and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake, covered with aluminium foil, for 30 minutes and then bake, uncovered for 25 minutes or until the top of the lasagna is golden brown. Let the lasagna sit for 15 minutes before cutting and serving. Enjoy!
Inspired by recipe found at http://www.healthyrecipeecstasy.com